EXIT 140 DIVERGING DIAMOND INTERCHANGE
This $195 million project has rebuilt the Interstate 95 interchange at Exit 140 (Route 630/Courthouse Road) in Stafford County as a diverging diamond interchange (DDI).
Exit 140 Diverging Diamond Interchange
- The new Exit 140 interchange is located slightly south of the existing interchange, with new overpasses carrying Courthouse Road traffic over the interstate.
- The new Courthouse Road aligns with an extended Hospital Center Boulevard, which connects with Route 1 directly across from Stafford Hospital.
- West of I-95, Courthouse Road was widened to four lanes as far west as Ramoth Church Road and Winding Creek Road.
- Commuter parking expands to two VDOT Park & Ride lots with a combined 1,100 spaces. These lots will have direct access to the extended 95 Express Lanes when they open in 2022.
- All lanes of I-95 built through the I-95 Southbound Rappahannock River Crossing project will be untolled and open to all traffic.
- Total estimated cost: $195 million
- Estimated completion date: Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) at Exit 140 opens Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019; All construction complete by July 31, 2020
Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI)
A diverging diamond interchange (DDI) is an innovative design that is increasingly being used by state transportation departments. The ramp configuration is similar to a traditional diamond interchange. However, traffic on the cross street, Courthouse Road, will switch sides. Traffic is shifted to the left side of the road, which allows vehicles turning left to enter an interstate on-ramp without stopping at a traffic signal.
A traffic analysis, in the form of an Interchange Modification Report, has been performed on the diverging diamond interchange concept. The findings, approved by the Federal Highway Administration, are below:
Courthouse Road Park and Ride Lot
When construction is complete, two new Park and Ride lots for ridesharing will open east of I-95. The lots will have a total of approximately 1,100 parking spaces. The larger lot will have approximately 850 parking spaces and will include a dedicated transit and carpool / vanpool pickup and dropoff area to assist with High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) use. A smaller lot on the north side of Old Courthouse Road will have an additional 250 parking spaces.
During July 2018, the existing Park & Ride lot on Courthouse Road was closed, and users were shifted to a temporary lot east of I-95 in the same location as the future, permanent lots. The existing 545 parking spaces will be available during construction as the contractor continues work to finish building the permanent lots. The new parking facilities will be open to traffic by July 31, 2020.
VDOT asks that carpools, vanpools and transit riders continue ridesharing from this I-95 interchange during construction.